St. Mary's, Winslade
St. Mary's Church Winslade dates from the 13th century, was rebuilt in the 19th century and is now closed.
St. Mary’s, Herriard
St. Mary’s is a beautiful Norman church, probably built by Sir Richard de Herrierd around 1200, and dedicated to St. Mary, the Blessed Virgin.
The Parish Magazine gives information about church services and the clergy and churchwardens' contact details for the four churches Herriard, Tunworth, Upton Grey and Weston Patrick. The magazine may be viewed or downloaded on the church website here. The church organises a number of events during the year (such as the village fete, village drinks, coffee mornings, harvest festival supper, murder mystery supper and quiz night) and details of these also appear in the Parish Magazine.
The Church Building
The church was substantially rebuilt and restored by Francis Jervoise, being completed in 1878 with the addition of a new stone tower.
Until the mid 1800’s there was a square wooden turret at the west of the Nave, with external brick steps leading to a square-headed door. The turret became unsafe and reputedly collapsed. There is now a modern North Aisle and West Tower. Externally, the Ashlar Clasping buttresses of the south angles of the Nave are preserved with a considerable number of incised sundials. The south entrance is through a fine oak door within a Norman arch comprising two moulded orders with a dog-tooth label. On the left is a stone inscribed with the restoration date.
The two large windows in the south wall are 15th century: the eastern windows depict the Crucifixion of Jesus (erected in memory of Francis Michael Ellis Jervoise). The other larger windows to the west replaced the original south doorway in 1876 (before that it was at the north-east of the Nave).
The west wall window originally represented Simeon and Anne at the presentation of Christ in the temple (in memory of George Purefoy Jervoise who died in 1847); in a state of disrepair, it was replaced by a window donated by Mrs J Loveys in memory of her father, Arthur Jervoise, brother of F M E Jervoise and grandmother of the present owner of the Manor. Nearby are the War Memorial Tablets recording the names of parishoners who gave their lives in the two World Wars.
The two lancet windows in the south wall are 13th century (there were originally three on either side of the Nave). Under the eastern lancet window are two wall tablets in memory of Edwyn Jervoise (younger brother of F H T Jervoise) which were designed by Hugh Powel, a cousin, and recall Edwyn’s love of ancient bridges.
In the North Aisle, the west window is a little old heraldic glass with the arms of Popham (two harts heads – there was a Cowdray/Popham marriage is the 15th century). At the end of the north aisle is a one-manual Holdich organ (in memory of Mary Louise Ellis Jervoise who died 1881) which was repaired and electrified in memory of F H T Jervoise by his widow M Jervoise.
There is a Jacobean carved oak screen dated 1635 around the organ. On the heads of the posts are recorded previous owners of the manor of Herriard, all old Hampshire families: being Peter & Dorothy Cowdray, Richard & Elizabeth Paulet, Sir Thomas & Lucy Jervoise and William & Anne Young. This screen was formerly part of a fine pew that used to stand in the southeast angle of the Nave. On the north wall is a black marble tablet believed to be in memory of Anne Paulet, daughter of Sir Henry Wallop.
In 1966 the chancel roof and floor under the family pew (choir stalls) were entirely replaced by J L Jervoise. The east windows, depicting the offering of gifts to the baby Jesus and the Wise Men, are 15th century perpendicular. The reredos above the altar is of Caen stone (dedicated in memory of Henrietta Cordington, sister of Francis Ellis Jervoise by Archdeacon Sumner, husband of Mary Sumner who was founder of the Mother’s Union). The work is based on Leonardo da Vinci’s famous painting of The Last Supper.
There are a group of three lancet windows on either side which are 13th century. Under the first window in the south wall is a round-headed piscina recess with a modern bow; its nearness to the ground shows that the levels have been raised in modern times. Just to the east of the lectern is a square-headed, low-sided window of 14th century; it now contains a few pieces of old glass, including a pretty 15th century figure of St Margaret of Antioch in white and gold glass, formerly in the Tracery of the east window. This picture of St Margaret is comparable with the statuette in King Henry VII’s chapel in Westminster Abbey.
The oak chair on the south side of the sanctuary is dated 1621. The Chancel Arch, which before repair in 1876 had spread dangerously, is a fine feature with three moulded orders and a dog-tooth label. The three brass tablets on the walls record the names of the holders of the Manor of Herriard from pre-Conquest until R S Jervoise, a cousin of the present patron.
The original medieval wooden bell tower collapsed in the mid 1800’s and the current tower was built in 1876. Three bells were installed at that time in a King Post oak bell frame which although it had space for four bells only ever held three, a treble of 30
3/4 inch diameter dated 1876 by John Warner of Cripplegate London, a second of 32
3/8 inch diameter from about 1400 maker unknown, and a tenor of 34
1/2 inch diameter made by Ellis Knight II of Reading with an unusual octagonal stop, dedicated to Nathaniel Hied and dated 1654.
Having served well for nearly 130 years, the fittings were becoming loose. Following encouragement by the Basingstoke District of The Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers, and a series of generous donations and grants, in 2008 it became possible to extend the frame and augment the peal from three to six bells. Matthew Higby & Company carried out all the required works.
The three new bells are a treble of 26
inch diameter dated 1873 by Mears and Stainbank of Whitechapel ex Christ Church Hampstead, a second of 28 inch diameter cast for St Mary’s, Herriard in 2008 by Taylors Eayre & Smith Ltd of Loughborough, and a third
inch diameter dated 1870 by Mears and Stainbank of Whitechapel ex Christ Church Hampstead.
Full technical details of the bells are available at
The peal is completed by the three original bells, two retuned. The first full peal was rung on 1 March 2009 when they were dedicated in a fabulous service that saw St Mary's Church full to the rafters. Details of the full peal are now registered on the
Campanophile website, along with those of the first quarter peal on 1 February 2009.
Tower Captain is Bob Ives. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com for details of practice evenings and ringing times for services. Herriard with Winslade Parish are members of the
Basingstoke District of The Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers.
A commemorative plaque marking the bell and tower works acknowledges the Parochial Church Council’s gratitude to those who helped with donations, fundraising and their time, encouragement and assistance. Major donors recognised were John and Victoria Raymond of Winslade Down, the family of Major R W Horne of Manor Farm Herriard, and the Winchester and Portsmouth Diocesan Guild of Church Bell Ringers. Others who made the project possible included the family and friends of Bill Hounsell and Dick Dunford, Keith Walpole, Adam Greenley and all the members and supporters of the Basingstoke District of the Guild of Church Bell Ringers, the Friends of St Mary’s, the Hobart Charitable Trust, the Hampshire and the Islands Historic Churches Trust, the Manifold Trust, the Keltek Trust, the Jervoise Family, the Alan Evans Memorial Trust and the Haberdashers Company.